Here is a list of tutorials I’ve used to setup the XenServer 5.6 on a Hetzner root server with paravirtualized Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian 5.0 guest systems. Some tutorials were written for XenServer 5.5, but they also worked with the new version 5.6.
- Xenserver 5.5: Automatische Installation, sw raid1, lokale ISO library (German)
I followed step 1 (“Installation”) and step 3 (“Lokale ISO Libary einbinden”). In step 3 sub-step 6 (“6. Mount beim boot”) the commands should be added to the file /etc/rc.local.
- XenServer 5.5 auf Hetzner Server installieren (German)
IMHO, it is not a good idea to turn off the host system’s firewall as described in the tutorial (in section “Host als Router konfigurieren”).
- Using XenServer in a routed IP network
(Paravirtualized) Guest systems
- Citrix Developer Network > XenServer > Debian Lenny
- Installing XenServer Tools on Ubuntu 10.04
If you have problems to install grub-pc in the Ubuntu guest system, take a look at the following bug reports:
Thanks a lot to all authors for the great tutorials. You really helped me to manage the setup.