My fit-PC2 home server (randomly) freezes under Ubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 9.10. I think the problem described here is not distribution specific, but hardware or kernel specific.
First of all the system seems to be frozen at random. After some testing, I was able to reproduce the problem when operating with large amount of files, e.g. deleting about 15.000 small files via samba.
Symptoms on the fit-PC2 server:
- Sometimes the system freezes and pressing an arbitrary (keyboard) key unfreezes the system.
- Sometimes the system freezes completely (only hard resets helps).
- Sometimes the error “BUG: soft lockup – CPU#0 stuck for 61 sec!” is displayed again and again in the console.
Symptoms on the Windows 7 client (that deletes the files via samba):
- Delete dialog goes down to “0 elements per seconds” and than an error like “file is not accessible” is shown
- Explorer shows error about lost samba connection (something like “server not available”)
- Open ssh sessions with putty become inactive (something like “server ended connection unexpectedly”)
- After some seconds and pressing F5 the explorer reconnects the share
- ssh session can be opened again
Similar problems occurred while committing a large set of files into a svn using a shell console (checkout and svn repository one the fit-PC2) or cleaning a svn checkout. To me, it seems that this is a general problems working with large set of files and not a network specific issue.
Thanks to the fit-PC2 Users Forum and this post, I was able to solve / bypass the problem by setting the following bios option:
Processor full speed: GV3 Only
I’m now able to delete >10.000 files without freezes and my fit-PC2 Server is up and running for weeks.
3 responses to “fit-PC2: Fixed (random) system freezes on Linux”
What a great find, this solution.
I had the same problem with Fit-PC2 and Vortexbox (a Fedora based application).
I hope I am not cheering too soon, but the test file transfer that is running as I write this, looks promising.
Thank you !!
I had the same problem, and it seems to be better now.
Did i say thank you ? thank you ! 🙂
Thanks for showing up in my search results! This problem had been haunting me for weeks now. Fix works like a charm.